Losing somewhere between 50 and 100 hairs every day is perfectly normal. When you lose more than that, thinning and bald spots start appearing. If you’ve noticed these changes, you’re among the 80 million people experiencing hair loss in the United States. And there’s good news: Not only are you not alone, but there are also treatments out there designed to help. Learn more about the available solutions, which range from hair care products to hair restoration.
Hair Care Supplements
Did you know that certain supplements and essential oils may offer relief? While more research is needed, anecdotal evidence suggests that some people suffering from hair loss experience improved hair growth after using one or more of the following treatments:
- Adding one to two drops of rosemary essential oil into shampoo before working it into your scalp.
- Using a conditioner fortified with natural oils such as coconut or avocado oil, which can reduce breakage and increase hair strength.
- Taking vitamin D to combat a vitamin D deficiency, which worsens hair loss and thinning.
Better Hair Care Habits
Hair damage leads to breakage, frizz, and even hair loss. Everyday hair care habits can worsen the problem. Getting into habits that minimize damage can halt further hair loss.
- Gently work the shampoo into your scalp instead of vigorously scrubbing it your scalp and ends
- Switch from rubbing your hair dry with a towel to wrapping it in a towel or letting it air dry.
- Minimize hot tool use for styling and use the lowest possible heat settings.
OTC Hair Loss Remedies
To encourage regrowth, many people turn to their local pharmacies for over-the-counter products. Effective options include:
- Minoxidil is the only topical OTC medication that’s FDA approved for hair growth. Using a product with 5% strength daily, many people see results in as little as three months.
- Anti-dandruff shampoos that contain pyrithione zinc may improve hair loss caused by scalp conditions such as dandruff.
- Volumizing shampoos and conditioners without silicones provide a fuller appearance, masking minor hair thinning.
- Weaves and wigs offer a temporary solution to cover bald spots and add fullness and volume to thinning hair.
Today’s hair restoration isn’t like the hair plugs of years gone by. The process has been refined for results that look and feel natural. There are no one-size-fits-all approach. Instead, you’ll work with your doctor to create the hair loss solution that’s right for you. Popular options include:
- Strip hair transplant procedures, which are ideal for treating large balding areas.
- Multiple Follicular Unit grafting, which provides the density and a natural look while minimizing the number of transplanting sessions needed.
- Follicular Unit Extraction, which is ideal for those interest in wearing very short hairstyles.
- Platelet Rich Plasma, which is an in-office procedure that takes only 60 to 90 minutes and is designed to boost hair growth.